Saturday, April 6, 2013

Team First Descents: Who's Up for a Challenge?

I've spent my life around athletes. I still *try* to be one. I was an athlete while kayaking last summer, as were the other ten young adult cancer survivors on my First Descents trip. I want to be one again. I'd love to do an IronMan, but I don't have time to train, especially given chemo disruptions, nor knees that can handle that pounding. Part of coping post cancer is accepting realities, including limitations. That doesn't mean I can't be "out living it," as the First Descents motto goes. So, actually, I am going to do an IronMan.

Here's the catch: I won't travel the distance all at once. My plan is to sign up for swim, bike, and run races that over time will aggregate to the total 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run. In doing so, I will complete my Team First Descents Challenge.

What's an FD Challenge? It's a way to stay involved with the organization that gave me back my confidence, by spreading awareness and raising money for other cancer fighters / survivors to participate in the program. Unfortunately, there are so many young adults that could benefit from the experience.
 
Next Sunday, April 14th, I'll complete the first leg of the race, by walking at least a portion, if not the full half-marathon race in Central Park.
 
Interested in joining Team Life's a Beach Aggregate Ironman FD Challenge?

Read below and register here.

Then plan out your strategy by finding events in your area. Email them to me, and I'll highlight them here and on our First Descents team page.

Thus far, our team's events are:

April 14th More Magazine's / Fitness Magazine's Women's Half-Marathon
May 27, Ridgewood Run
June 8th NJ Openwater Swim
June 15th, Wyckoff-Franklin Lakes Triathlon
 
About First Descents

Mission of First Descents: First Descents offers young adult cancer fighters and survivors (ages 18 to 39) a free week-long outdoor adventure experience designed to enable them to climb, paddle and surf beyond their diagnosis, defy their cancer, reclaim their lives and connect with others doing the same.

My Prior Blog Entries about First Descents:

First Descents, May 24, 2012

First Descents Trip - T Minus One Day, June 5, 2012

First Descents Kayaking: Day 3, June 9, 2012

First Descents Kayaking Pics, June 19, 2012

Abridged Version of "Exit" on HuffPost




 

No comments:

Post a Comment